Lifestyle Changes to Improve Perimenopause Symptoms
Perimenopause can be challenging for women transitioning into this phase of life while managing their normal life and all the things that come with it: work, children, and in some cases caring for aging parents. In addition to seeking medical treatment, you may also want to consider natural ways to improve perimenopausal symptoms.
Hacks to Fight the Symptoms of Perimenopause
- Aromatherapy massage is an effective way to get rid of pain in the joints like palms, wrists, knees, back, etc. Aromatherapy uses therapeutic oils for massaging which are extracted from medicinal plants which is a natural way to heal joint pain.
- Seed cycling helps to balance hormonal levels and regulates your reproductive organs and its function.
- Herbs: Herbs can help soothe anxiety and restlessness. There are a few herbs you can take in the form of natural medicine which can help like ashwagandha, chamomile (in the form of tea, extract, and creams), and lavender (in the form of tea, applied as an oil in aromatherapy, bath bombs or salts).
- Controlled Breathing: Breathing exercises is a simple and relaxing practice that can eventually be used if you’d like to try yoga. Sometimes, tension can cause irregular breathing causing you to hold your breath or take quick breaths during stressful times. However, practicing mindful breathing can help alleviate stress, provide relaxation, and in some cases ease the pain away. Breathing exercises oxygenates blood which releases endorphins that is responsible for pain management in the body during perimenopause. Examples of breathing exercises in yoga include Nadi Shodhana or alternate nostril breathing, pranayama or the practice of breath control, brahmari or the humming breath, ujjayi or the oceans breath.
- Practice Yoga: Including yoga in your lifestyle along with breathing exercises helps fight perimenopausal symptoms. Slow and gentle yoga which includes stretching is a great way to start. However, hot yoga could aggravate symptoms so going for restorative yoga practices can help ease perimenopause symptoms more effectively.
- Adopt an Anti-Inflammatory Diet: Try eating anti-inflammatory foods like turmeric, ginger, garlic to fight the pain which comes with the perimenopausal period.
It’sFetch is a community that provides a safe space for members to discuss health and wellness topics. We provide access to archived health related content, note the date of last review or update on all articles. No content shared, regardless of date should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.
-Written by Sushmita Majumdar