Perimenopause can cause many symptoms such as hot flashes, weight gain, and tiredness. Pilates exercises are a natural way that can help reduce these symptoms. Check out five benefits on why you need to try Pilates:
Five Benefits of Pilates
- Hormonal Balance: During perimenopause, hormonal imbalances can affect mood and overall emotional well-being. Pilates exercises focuses on controlled movements and mindful breathing, This can help reduce stress and promote hormonal balance. Having a regular exercise routine stimulates the release of endorphins. These are known to elevate mood and reduce anxiety which can help to alleviate the emotional rollercoaster experienced during perimenopause.
- Strengthening Muscles and Bones: Due to hormonal changes during perimenopause, the muscle mass and bone density decreases. This can increase the risk of osteoporosis and fractures. Pilates exercises target the core muscles, including the pelvic floor, abdominals, and back muscles. It can help improve posture, stability, and overall strength. By engaging in weight-bearing exercises during Pilates, women can support their bone health and decrease the risk of osteoporosis. Some examples to use are resistance bands or bodyweight exercises.
- Increased Flexibility and Joint Health: As women age, their bodies tend to become less flexible causing joint stiffness. Pilates incorporates stretching and lengthening exercises that can improve flexibility and joint mobility. Enhanced flexibility can help ease discomfort and reduce the risk of injuries. By regularly practicing Pilates, women in perimenopause can maintain their range of motion and keep their bodies supple.
- Enhanced Energy and Vitality: Fatigue is a common symptom experienced by women during perimenopause. Engaging in regular physical activity, such as Pilates, can combat fatigue and increase energy levels. Pilates exercises focus on controlled movements and mindful breathing. This can stimulate circulation and oxygenate the body, resulting in a boost of energy and vitality.
- Improved Body Image and Confidence: Perimenopause can bring changes in body shape and weight distribution. This can lead to a decrease in self-esteem and body confidence. Pilates, with its emphasis on body awareness and alignment, can help women embrace and appreciate their changing bodies. As women strengthen their core muscles and improve their posture through Pilates, they may experience an increase in body confidence and feel more comfortable in their own skin.
Perimenopause is a significant stage in a woman’s life. Prioritizing one’s health and well-being during this time is important. Pilates provides many benefits that can positively impact women going through perimenopause. It can help support women’s overall health and maintain a positive mindset during this transitional phase. So, if you’re navigating perimenopause, consider incorporating Pilates into your fitness routine and experience the remarkable difference it can make in your well-being. Remember to consult with a qualified Pilates instructor or healthcare professional before starting any new exercise program.
Need support? Join the Perimenopause Community
It’s Fetch is a community that provides a safe space for members to discuss health and wellness topics. We provide access to archived health related content, note the date of last review or update on all articles. No content shared, regardless of date should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.
Written by Karen Manalac